Meet Doctor Blair Barnett
“Having the opportunity to return to the city I grew up in and love so much to practice has truly been a dream come true. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to improve patients’ lives and to act as a positive role model for our young patients as an orthodontist. I enjoy getting to know the families in our practice and have fun each and every day I go to work. We pride ourselves at Avery Orthodontics that we perform orthodontic care of the highest quality, and all patients are treated as if they are family members of our own.” — Dr. Barnett
Dr. Barnett completed a full four years of formal university orthodontic training following dental school. During his orthodontic residency, he concurrently earned a master’s degree in cellular and structural biology.
Dr. Barnett is currently an associate professor of clinical orthodontics at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, where he travels every other Friday to teach orthodontic residents. He has been recognized for 15 years of service, starting with his three years of orthodontic residency followed by part-time teaching thereafter. Dr. Barnett is honored to be associated with such a highly respected school, which also prepared him well for his own practice of orthodontics.
His formal training includes:
- B.A. in biology — University of Texas at Austin
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery — University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- Orthodontic research fellowship — University of Florida
- Orthodontic residency — University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- Master of Science — University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences San Antonio
Ongoing Education and Experience
“Every patient is unique, and I enjoy finding the best solution for each individual case. A huge part of my profession is problem solving, and it is truly fulfilling to map out the best solution for each patient and successfully meet every patient’s individual needs when we complete treatment.” — Dr. Barnett
Committed to continuing education and staying current with new technology, Dr. Barnett maintains memberships with the American Association of Orthodontists, American Dental Association, Texas Dental Association, Capital Area Dental Society, and Cedar Park Study Club.
In addition, Dr. Barnett is involved with the Capital Area Dental Foundation and Smiles Change Lives. He also does volunteer work abroad to provide dental aid to indigenous people in Guatemala who could not otherwise afford it.
Honors and Awards
Dr. Barnett has also received many honors and awards, including:
- Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics, having completing the voluntary board examination process through the only orthodontic board recognized by the American Dental Association and American Association of Orthodontists
- Named College Scholar by the College of Natural Sciences at UT-Austin
- Named to Dean’s List all four years of dental school and graduated with highest honors
- Recipient of the American Association of Orthodontists’ Dental Student Award for Exceptional Interest in Orthodontics
- Recipient of the Teachers of Oral Diagnosis Graduating Senior Award
- Recipient of the Excellence in Clinical Dentistry and Excellence in Basic Science awards for graduating dental students
- Recipient of the Armand J. Guarino Award for Academic Excellence in Master’s Studies from the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in San Antonio
Outside the Office
During his leisure time, Dr. Barnett loves to travel with his wife, Daniela. They enjoy sunny, beach, destinations and winter ski trips alike-- they are both avid snow skiers and love a good mountain.
While they're not travelling they enjoy doing many of the great things Austinites enjoy that make our city unique. They love attending University of Texas games and Austin FC games, listening to as much live music as possible, and running or biking the Lady Bird Lake trail and area greenbelts. You may see them at the Austin City Limits Music Festival, at one of the new Austin restaurants, or at the dog park with their standard poodles, Sir Lenny and Sofia. Dr. Barnett is a huge soccer fan and he is a member of the Liverpool Supporters of Austin.